Saturday, March 8, 2008

What is so Scary About Death?

Mankind has only one true universal fear, and that is of death. This fear has driven religions to rise and false hope to spread. People will believe nearly anything to nullify the fear of dying. I have asked myself "Why is death so scary?"I have an answer.

Death is scary because it is the end. Death is when we just stop being alive at all and therefor just.... gone. I fear this personally and have recently come to respect the fears of others and their beliefs of life after death. I don't believe in their religion, but I don't blame them for fearing. Death is scary because thats when your no longer ever able to do anything or experience anything. The things we do when we are alive will not be remembered by us and we wont be able to experience any respect we get after we die. This topic makes me afraid as I don't believe in an afterlife. There maybe one though. And this possibility, however slim, comforts me, much as religion once had. I think of the possibility of anything after death, which I really have no clue about as I have no way of finding out without dying. The important thing for me however is just to not assume anything. If I assume that my bleak view of death is true, I will live in fear and can still be very wrong. Yet, If I were to assume that there is an afterlife I am making an assumption on no evidence which is crazy, and I would live my life with less enthusiasm.

But even if my bleak view is right, I take some comfort in knowing that nothing would happen. I get scared that I won't be able to remember what I did or experience anything. I realized though, I wont feel anything negative either, I will be in nirvana.

The funny thing is that I also believe reincarnation is possible just by the fact that if you were to put all the atoms of the "living you" back together somehow, the corpse will now be just like it was when it was alive and, therefor alive.

There is so many factual ways to null your fears, they work much better than religion.

No comments: