Thursday, February 28, 2008

Words with a mission

Rhetoric is not what it is always said to be, some sort of over exaggeration to prove a point. Rhetoric is words that are used to persuade an audience to a cause without lying or over eggagerating needlessly the points of an arguement.
If I were to say to a person that wants to know what religion is I would explain it to them without rhetoric by saying "religion is the institution that some view as an explanation to the universes questions".But if I were to try to convince someone that religion is bad I would use rhetoric when I say "Religion is the name given to the hundreds of different belief doctrines that claim to provide an explanation via book or Idol, of the unanswered questions of the natural world, these doctrines have been known to encourage believers to kill other doctrines followers because they believe they have more accurate sources to an unsourced book or idol." I am not going to tell this to someone unless I am both being honest and not over exaggerated and I would only use rhetoric to CHANGE A MIND NOT FORM A NEW ONE.

No comments: